Authors and affiliations
J. V. Leyendekkers
The University of Sydney, 2006, Australia
A. G. Shannon
Warrane College, The University of New South Wales
PO Box 123, Kensington, NSW 1465, Australia
Simple functions were obtained for the rows of odd powers in the modular ring Z4, wherein integer N is represented by N = 4ri + i, i = 0, 1, 2, 3. These row functions are based on the row functions for squares. When 3 ∤ N , the row of N2 = 3n(3n ±1) , or when 3|N, the row of N2 = 2 + 18(½n(n+1)), n = 0, 1, 2, 3…
- Primitive Pythagorean triples
- Modular rings
- Triangular numbers
- Pentagonal numbers
- Beiler, Arthur. 1966. Recreations in the Theory of Numbers: The Queen of Mathematics Entertains. New York: Dover, p.115.
- Dickson, Leonard E. 1952. History of the Theory of Numbers, New York: Chelsea.
- Lehmer, D. N. 1900. Asymptotic Evaluation of Certain Totient Sums. American Journal of Mathematics. 22: 293-335.
- Leyendekkers, J.V., A.G. Shannon, J.M. Rybak. 2007. Pattern Recognition: Modular Rings and Integer Structure. North Sydney: Raffles KvB Monograph No.9.
- Leyendekkers, J.V., A.G. Shannon. 2010. Equations for Primes Obtained from Integer Structure. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics. Submitted.
- Mohapatra, Amar Kumar, Nupur Prakash. 2010. Generalized Formula to Determine Pythagorean Triples. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology. 41: 131-135.
Cite this paper
Leyendekkers, J. V., and Shannon, A. G. (2010). Rows of odd powers in the modular ring Z4. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 16(2), 29-32.