Authors and affiliations
A natural number N is said to be quasiperfect if σ(N) = 2N + 1 where σ(N) is the sum of the positive divisors of N. No quasiperfect number is known. If a quasiperfect number N exists and if ω(N) is the number of distinct prime factors of N then G. L. Cohen has proved ω(N) ≥ 7 while H. L. Abbott et. al have shown ω(N) ≥ 10 if (N, 15) = 1. In this paper we first prove that every quasiperfect numbers N has an odd number of special factors (see definition 2.3 below) and use it to show that ω(N) ≥ 15 if (N, 15) = 1 which refines the result of Abbott et.al. Also we provide an alternate proof of Cohen’s result when (N, 15) = 5.
- Quasiperfect number
- Special factor
- Abbott, H. L., C. E. Aull, Brown, E., & D.Suryanarayana (1973) Quasiperfect numbers, Acta Arithmetica, XXII, 439-447; correction to the paper, Acta Arithmetica, XXIX (1976), 636–637.
- Cattaneo, P. (1951), Sui numeri quasiperfetti, Boll. Un. Mat. Ital., 6(3), 59–62.
- Cohen, G. L. (1982) The non-existence of quasiperfect numbers of certain form, Fib. Quart., 20(1), 81–84.
- Cohen, G. L. & Peter Hagis Jr. (1982) Some results concerning quasiperfect numbers, J.Austral.Math.Soc.(Ser.A), 33, 275–286.
- Kishore, M. (1975) Quasiperfect numbers are divisible by at least six distinct divisors, Notices. AMS, 22, A441.
- Sandor , J. & Crstici, B. (2004) Hand book of Number Theory II, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/ Boston/ London.
- Sierpinski, W. A Selection of problems in the Theory of Numbers, New York, (page 110).
- Siva Rama Prasad, V., & Sunitha, C. (2019). On the prime factors of a quasiperfect number. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 25 (2), 16-21.
Reddy, P. A., Sunitha, C. & Prasad, V. Siva Rama. (2020). On quasimultiperfect numbers. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 26 (3), 68-73.
Cite this paperAPA
Siva Rama Prasad, V., & Sunitha, C. (2017). On quasiperfect numbers, Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 23(3), 73-78.Chicago
Siva Rama Prasad, V., and C. Sunitha. “On quasiperfect numbers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 23, no. 3 (2017): 73-78.MLA
Siva Rama Prasad, V., and C. Sunitha. “On quasiperfect numbers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 23.3 (2017): 73-78. Print.