Authors and affiliations
It is well known that balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers are expressed as determinants of suitable tridiagonal matrices. The aim of this paper is to express certain subsequences of balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers in terms of determinants of tridiagonal matrices. Using these tridiagonal matrices, a factorization of the balancing numbers is also derived.
- Balancing numbers
- Lucas-balancing numbers
- Tridiagonal matrices
- Behera, A., & Panda, G.K. (1999) On the square roots of triangular numbers, The Fibonacci Quarterly, 37(2), 98–105.
- Belbachair, H., & Szalay, L. (2014) Balancing in direction (1,−1) in Pascal’s triangle, Armenian Journal of Mathematics, 6(1), 32–40.
- Berczes, A., Liptai, K., & Pink, I. (2010) On generalized balancing numbers, Fibonacci Quarterly, 48(2), 121–128.
- Keskin R., & Karaatly, O. (2012) Some new properties of balancing numbers and square triangular numbers, Journal of Integer Sequences, 15(1).
- Liptai, K., Luca, F., Pinter, A., & Szalay, L. (2009) Generalized balancing numbers, Indagationes Math. N. S., 20, 87–100.
- Olajos, P. (2010) Properties of balancing, cobalancing and generalized balancing numbers, Annales Mathematicae et Informaticae, 37, 125–138.
- Panda, G. K., & Ray, P. K. (2011) Some links of balancing and cobalancing numbers with Pell and associated Pell numbers, Bulletin of the Institute of Mathematics, Academia Sinica (New Series), 6(1), 41–72.
- Panda, G. K. (2009) Some fascinating properties of balancing numbers, Proc. Eleventh Internat. Conference on Fibonacci Numbers and Their Applications, Cong. Numerantium, 194, 185–189.
- Ray, P. K. (2012) Application of Chybeshev polynomials in factorization of balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, Boletim da Sociedade Paranaense de Matematica, 30(2), 49–56.
- Ray, P. K. (2013) Factorization of negatively subscripted balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, Boletim da Sociedade Paranaense de Matematica, Vol.31 (2), 161–173.
- Ray, P. K. (2012) Certain matrices associated with balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, Matematika, 28(1), 15–22.
- Ray, P. K. (2013) New identities for the common factors of balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 85, 487–494.
- Ray, P. K. (2014) Some congruences for balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers and their applications, Integers, 14, #A8.
- Ray, P. K. (2014) Balancing sequences of matrices with application to algebra of balancing numbers, Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 20(1), 49–58.
- Ray, P. K. (2014) On the properties of Lucas-balancing numbers by matrix method, Sigmae, Alfenas, 3(1), 1–6.
- Ray, P. K. (2014) Generalization of Cassini formula for balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, Matematychni Studii., 42(1), 9–14.
- Ray, P. K. (2015) Balancing and Lucas-balancing sums by matrix methods, Mathematical Reports, 17(67), 2.
Cite this paperAPA
Ray, P. K., & Panda, G. K. (2015). Tridiagonal matrices related to subsequences of balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 21(3), 56-63.Chicago
Ray, Prasanta Kumar, and Gopal K Panda. “Tridiagonal Matrices Related to Subsequences of Balancing and Lucas-balancing Numbers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 21, no. 3 (2015): 56-63.MLA
Ray, Prasanta Kumar, and Gopal K Panda. “Tridiagonal Matrices Related to Subsequences of Balancing and Lucas-balancing Numbers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 21.3 (2015): 56-63. Print.