Authors and affiliations
In this article, we extend a classical trigonometric addition formula for the arctangent function and derive new summation identities for Fibonacci and Lucas numbers. While most of the results seem to be new, we also recover some known expressions.
- Arctangent sum
- Fibonacci number
- Lucas number
- Anglesio, J. (1993) Elementary problem 10292, Amer. Math. Monthly, Vol. 100, p. 291. Solution by several authors, Amer. Math. Monthly, Vol. 103, 1995, p. 270–272.
- Adegoke, K. (2015) Infinite arctangent sums involving Fibonacci and Lucas numbers, Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 21(1), 56–66.
- Boros, G. & Moll, V. H. (2005) Sums of arctangents and some formulas of Ramanujan, SCIENTIA Series A: Mathematical Sciences, 11, 13–24.
- Borwein, J. M. & Borwein, P. B. (1987) Pi and the AGM, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Frontczak, R. (2015) On Infinite Series Involving Fibonacci Numbers, International Journal of Contemporary Mathematical Sciences, 10(8), 363–379.
- Frontczak, R. (2016) A Note on a Family of Alternating Fibonacci Sums, Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 22(2), 64–71.
- Grimaldi, R. P. (2012) Fibonacci and Catalan numbers: An Introduction, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Melham, R. S. (1999) Sums involving Fibonacci and Pell numbers, Portugaliae Mathematica, 56(3), 309–317.
- Melham, R. S. & Shannon, A. G. (1995) Inverse trigonometric and hyperbolic summation formulas involving generalized Fibonacci numbers, The Fibonacci Quarterly, 33(1), 32–40.
- Berndt, B. C. (1985) Ramanujan’s Notebooks, Part I, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Rabinowitz, S. (1999) Algorithmic Summation of Reciprocals of Products of Fibonacci Numbers, The Fibonacci Quarterly, 37, 122–127.
- Frontczak, R. (2017). Closed-form evaluations of Fibonacci–Lucas reciprocal sums with three factors. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 23(2), 104—116.
Cite this paper
Frontczak, R. (2017). Further results on arctangent sums with applications to generalized Fibonacci numbers. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 23(1), 39-53.