Authors and affiliations
J. V. Leyendekkers
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006, Australia
A. G. Shannon
Warrane College, The University of New South Wales, 1465, &
KvB Institute of Technology, North Sydney, 2060, Australia
The integer constraints, which prevent sums or differences of identical powers, n, from equalling a power of the same value (n > 2), are explored within the Modular Ring, ℤ4. Although the integer structure is complex, the results agree with those obtained for the octic or chess ring, which showed that the specific class structure, row nesting and other characteristics for powers give rise to a row exclusion factor in the modular tables of residues. This factor ensures that the resultant value of two coupled identical powers can never fit into a slot within ℤ4 which is reserved for a power of the same value.
- Hillman, Abraham P & Gerald L Alexanderson. 1973. A First Undergraduate Course in Abstract Algebra. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Hunter, J. 1964. Number Theory. Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd.
- Leyendekkers, J.V., Rybak, J.M. & A. G. Shannon. 1997. Analysis of Diophantine Properties Using Modular Rings with Four and Six Classes. Notes on Number Theory & Discrete Mathematics. 3(2): 61-74.
- Leyendekkers, J. V. & A. G. Shannon. 1999. Analyses of Row Expansions within the Octic ‘Chess’ Modular Ring, ℤ4. Notes on Number Theory & Discrete Mathematics. 5(3): 102-114.
- McCoy, N.H. 1948. Rings and Ideals. Washington, DC: Mathematical Association of America.
- Simalarides, Anastasios. 1990. Sophie Germain’s Principle and Lucas Numbers. Mathematica Scandinavica. 67(2): 167-176.
- van der Poorten, A. 1996. Notes on Fermafs Last Theorem. New York: Wiley.
Cite this paperAPA
Leyendekkers, J., & Shannon, A. (2002). Integer structure and constraints on powers within the modular ring ℤ4 – Part I: Even powers. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 8(2), 41-57.Chicago
Leyendekkers, JV, and AG Shannon. “Integer Structure and Constraints on Powers within the Modular Ring ℤ4 – Part I: Even Powers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 8, no. 2 (2002): 41-57.MLA
Leyendekkers, JV, and AG Shannon. “Integer Structure and Constraints on Powers within the Modular Ring ℤ4 – Part I: Even Powers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 8.2 (2002): 41-57. Print.