J. V. Leyendekkers and A. G. Shannon
Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics
Print ISSN 1310–5132, Online ISSN 2367–8275
Volume 22, 2016, Number 4, Pages 54—62
Download full paper: PDF, 206 Kb
Authors and affiliations
J. V. Leyendekkers
Faculty of Science, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
It is proved that infinite sequences of generalized Fibonacci sequences obtained from generalizations of the Golden Ratio can generate all primitive Pythagorean triples. This is a consequence of the integer structure since the major component of a primitive Pythagorean triple always has the form (4r1 + 1) where r1 belongs to the class in the modular ring Z4.
- Unit digits (right-end-digits)
- Modular rings
- Golden ratio
- Fibonacci and Lucas numbers
- Pythagorean triples
- Hongquan, Yu, Yi Wang, Mingfeng He (1996) On the limit of generalized Golden numbers. The Fibonacci Quarterly. 34 (4): 320–322.
- Horadam, A. F. (1961) Fibonacci number triples. American Mathematical Monthly. 68: 455–459.
- Horadam, A. F. (1966) Generalizations of two theorems of K. Subba Rao. Bulletin of the Calcutta Mathematical Society. 58 (1): 23–29.
- Krishna, H. V. (1974) Pythagorean triads. The Mathematics Student. 47 (1): 41–43.
- Leyendekkers, J. V., J. M. Rybak, A. G. Shannon (1995) Integer class properties associated with an integer matrix. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics. 1 (2): 53–59.
- Leyendekkers, J. V., A. G. Shannon (2015) The Golden Ratio Family and Generalized Fibonacci Numbers. Journal of Advances in Mathematics. 10 (1): 3130–3137.
- Leyendekkers, J. V., A. G. Shannon (2007) Pattern Recognition: Modular Rings and Integer Structure. North Sydney: Raffles KvB Monograph No.9.
- Leyendekkers, J. V., A. G. Shannon (2015) The sum of squares for primes. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics. 21 (4): 17–21.
- Moore, G. A. (1993) A Fibonacci polynomial sequence defined by multidimensional continued fractions; and higher order golden ratios. The Fibonacci Quarterly. 31 (4): 354–364.
- Shannon, A. G., A. F. Horadam (1973) Generalized Fibonacci number triples. American Mathematical Monthly. 80: 187–190.
- Shannon, A. G., A. F. Horadam (1994) Arrowhead curves in a tree of Pythagorean triples. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology. 25 (2): 255–261.
- Shannon, A. G., J. V. Leyendekkers (2015) The Golden Ratio Family and the Binet equation. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics. 21 (2): 35–42.
- Stein, S. K. (1962) The intersection of Fibonacci sequences. Michigan Mathematical Journal. 9: 399–402.
- Stein, S. K. (1963) Finite models of identities. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 14: 216–222.
- Subba Rao, K. (1959) Some properties of Fibonacci numbers – II. The Mathematics Student. 27 (1): 19–23.
- Vajda, S. (1989) Fibonacci & Lucas Numbers, and the Golden Section: Theory and Applications. Chichester: Ellis Horwood.
Cite this paper
Leyendekkers, J. V., & Shannon, A. G. (2017). Primitive Pythagorean triples and generalized Fibonacci sequences, Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 23(1), 54-62.