Authors and affiliations
Department of Physics, Obafemi Awolowo University
Jaume Oliver Lafont
Conselleria d’Educacio i Cultura, Govern de les Illes Balears
Department of Mathematics, Obafemi Awolowo University
BBP-type formulas are usually discovered experimentally, one at a time and in specific bases, through computer searches. In this paper, however, we derive explicit digit extraction BBPtype formulas in general binary bases b = 212p, for p ∈ Z+ and mod (p, 2) = 1. As particular examples, new binary formulas are presented for π√3, π√3log2, √3Cl2(π/3) and a couple of other polylogaritm constants. A variant of the formula for π√3log2 derived in this paper has been known for over ten years but was hitherto unproved. Binary BBP-type formulas for the logarithms of an infinite set of primes and binary BBP-type representations for the arctangents of an infinite set of rational numbers are also presented. Finally, new binary BBP-type zero relations are established.
- BBP-type formulas
- General binary bases
- Bailey, D. H., P. B. Borwein, S. Plouffe. On the rapid computation of various polylogarithmic constants. Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 66, 1997, No. 218, 903–913.
- Bailey, D. H. A compendium of BBP-type formulas for mathematical constants, http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/dhbpapers/bbp-formulas.pdf February 2011.
- Bailey, D. H., R. E. Crandall. On the random character of fundamental constant expansions. Experimental Mathematics, Vol. 10, 2001, No. 2, 175–190.
- Borwein, J. M., D. Borwein, W. F. Galway. Finding and excluding b-ary Machintype BBP formulae. http://docserver.carma.newcastle.edu.au/47/1/
- Chamberland, M. Binary BBP-formulae for logarithms and generalized Gaussian—Mersenne primes. Journal of Integer Sequences, Vol. 6, 2003.
- Lewin, L. Polylogarithms and associated functions. Elsevier North Holland Inc., 1981.
- Lafont, J. O. Degree 1 BBP-Type Zero Relations. Private communication, available from the author, January 2011.
Cite this paper
Adegoke, K., Lafont, J. O. & Layeni, O. (2011). A class of digit extraction BBP-type formulas in general binary bases, Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 17(4), 18-32.