Authors and affiliations
J. V. Leyendekkers
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006, Australia
A. G. Shannon
Warrane College, The University of New South Wales, 1465, &
KvB Institute of Technology, North Sydney, 2060, Australia
C. K. Wong
Warrane College, The University of New South Wales,
It is shown that the functions , and intersect at a point that is always non-integer, A geometric analysis shows that the cubic crosses the x -axis at a point, x0, that is always non-integer, with , where is obtained from the geometry of the curve. These results show that a general parameter associated with the real roots of Fermat/Cardano polynomials is a function of and the geometry of the curve, which in turn yield the link with the geometry of the complex plane.
- Churchhouse, R.F. 1988. Some Recent Discoveries in Number Theory and Analysis Made by the Use of a Computer. In N.M. Stephens & M.P. Thome (eds), Computers in Mathematical Research. Oxford: Clarendon Press, pp.1-14.
- Leyendekkers, J. V. & Shannon, A.G. 1999. Analyses of Row Expansions within the Octic ’Chess’ Modular Ring Zg. Notes on Number Th & Discrete Math. Vol.5(3): 102-114.
- Leyendekkers, J. V. & Shannon, A.G. 1999. The Cardano Family of Equations. Notes on Number Th & Discrete Math. Vol.5(4): 151-162.
- Leyendekkers, J, V, & Shannon, A,G, 2000, Analysis of the Roots of Some Cardano Cubics. Notes on Number Th & Discrete Math. Vol.6(4): 113-117.
- Leyendekkers, J. V. & Shannon, A.G. 2002. Integer Structure and Constraints on Powers within the Modular Ring Z4. Notes on Number Th & Discrete Math. In press.
- McCoy, Neal H. 1965. The Theory of Numbers. New York: Macmillan.
- Rosen, M. 2002. Number Theory> in Function Fields. Berlin: Springer.
- Todhunter, I. 1884. Plane Trigonometry. London: Macmillan.
- Turner, J.C. 2002. Some Applications of Triangle Transformations in Fibonacci Geometry. Tenth International Conference on Fibonacci Numbers & Their Applications, Nonhem Arizona University, Flagstaff, June 24-28.
Cite this paper
Leyendekkers, J., Shannon, A. & Wong C. (2002). Algebraic and geometric analysis of a Fermat/Cardano cubic. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 8(3), 85-94.