Authors and affiliations
It is well known that, the problem of finding a sequence of real numbers an, n = 0, 1, 2, …, which is both geometric (an + 1 = kan; n = 0, 1, 2, …) and balancing (an + 1 = 6an − an − 1, a0 = 0, a1 = 1) admits an unique solution. In fact, the sequence is 1, λ1, λ12, …, λ1n, … where λ1 = 3 + √8 satisfies the balancing equation λ2 − 6λ + 1. In this paper, we pose an equivalent problem for a sequence of real, nonsingular matrices of order two and show that, this problem admits an infinity of solutions, that is there exist infinitely many such sequences.
- Balancing numbers
- Lucas-balancing numbers
- Balancing matrix
- Lucas-balancing matrix
- Behera, A., G. K. Panda, On the square roots of triangular numbers, The Fibonacci Quarterly, Vol. 37, 1999, No. 2, 98–105.
- Berczes, A., K. Liptai, I. Pink, On generalized balancing numbers, Fibonacci Quarterly, Vol. 48, 2010, No. 2, 121–128.
- Keskin, R., O. Karaatly, Some new properties of balancing numbers and square triangular numbers, Journal of Integer Sequences, Vol. 15, 2012, No. 1, Art. #12.1.4.
- Liptai, K., F. Luca, A. Pinter, L. Szalay, Generalized balancing numbers, Indagationes Math. N. S., Vol. 20, 2009, 87–100.
- Olajos, P., Properties of balancing, cobalancing and generalized balancing numbers, Annales Mathematicae et Informaticae, Vol. 37, 2010, 125–138.
- Panda, G. K., P. K. Ray, Cobalancing numbers and cobalancers, International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 2005, 2005, No. 8, 1189–1200.
- Panda, G. K., P. K. Ray, Some links of balancing and cobalancing numbers with Pell and associated Pell numbers, Bulletin of the Institute of Mathematics, Academia Sinica (New Series), Vol. 6, 2011, No. 1, 41–72.
- Panda, G. K., Some fascinating properties of balancing numbers, Proc. Eleventh Internat. Conference on Fibonacci Numbers and Their Applications, Cong. Numerantium, Vol. 194, 2009, 185–189.
- Ray, P. K., Application of Chybeshev polynomials in factorization of balancing and Lucasbalancing numbers, Bol. Soc. Paran. Mat., Vol. 30, 2012, No. 2, 49–56.
- Ray, P. K., Factorization of negatively subscripted balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, Bol. Soc. Paran. Mat., Vol. 31, 2013, No. 2, 161–173.
- Ray, P. K., Curious congruences for balancing numbers, Int. J. Contemp. Sciences, Vol. 7, 2012, No. 18, 881–889.
- Ray, P. K., Certain matrices associated with balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, Matematika, Vol. 28, 2012, No. 1, 15–22.
- Ray, P. K., New identities for the common factors of balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers, International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 85, 2013, No. 3, 487–494.
- Ray, P. K., Some congruences for balancing and Lucas-balancing numbers and their applications, Integers, Vol. 14, 2014, #A8.
- Ray, P. K., On the properties of Lucas-balancing numbers by matrix method, Sigmae, Alfenas, Vol. 3, 2014, No. 1, 1–6.
Cite this paperAPA
Ray, P. K. (2014). Balancing sequences of matrices with application to algebra of balancing numbers. Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics, 20(1), 49-58.Chicago
Ray, Prasanta Kumar. “Balancing Sequences of Matrices with Application to Algebra of Balancing Numbers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 20, no. 1 (2014): 49-58.MLA
Ray, Prasanta Kumar. “Balancing Sequences of Matrices with Application to Algebra of Balancing Numbers.” Notes on Number Theory and Discrete Mathematics 20.1 (2014): 49-58. Print.